Goodbyes suck.
| Click to see large intestines |
I don't like to cry, but for some reason my face wants me to. It gets all ugly and starts to reveal my emotions. I don't like it. But when I'm sad or hurt, I cry.
Last night, when it was my turn to say something, I made a bad joke, and quickly said a few things to these two people I love that were the same cliches everyone uses: "I thank God that you are in my life. . . . I remember the first time we met, it was hilarious," etc. There was no way I was going to be able to say, "I love both of you. Mim, you welcomed us to our new home with loving arms that set the tone for our entire year. Thank you." Then with a slight turn to the right, "Aimee, you are truly my sister. Our time here would be missing such a special part without you. You have been our guide, our friend, our reason for staying out until 3 a.m. We cannot -- and do not want to -- imagine a Thailand without you. Thank you."
All of those things are so true, but I would never have been able to say them. I can barely type them.
![]() |
| At least he's still handsome when he cries. |
I told Aimee today that I feel like goodbyes are a little like funerals. You never want to say goodbye, but sometimes you have to. In the process, you honor the memories and the friendship. The main difference is that the deceased can't see your ugly cry-face. That's why these goodbyes are better.
Your friends get to see the ugly face you make, the awkwardness your choked words cause, and the nasty snot in the mustache, and they love you more because of it.
Goodbyes still suck. But it's proof of a life lived in relationship, ugly cry-face and all.

No comments:
Post a Comment