It's been a tough week for me, in the middle of a time of weird transition. We are learning what many missionaries and overseas workers have lived before us: Coming home is hard. I've been very emotional about it.
I am grateful to my gracious in-laws who are allowing us to squat in their house rent free. They generously provide all the groceries we need and all the freedom I want in the kitchen. This week, they even ate lentil loaf, and actually kind of enjoyed it. We've carved out a little space in Justin's childhood bedroom and settled into a beautiful, lazy sort of daily routine involving exercise, food preparation, and the random piecing together of errands, video-game playing, job searching, facebook following, and mentally preparing to face life.
But some days I hate it. I mourn the loss of my beautiful life in Thailand and the beautiful sense of purpose we had there. I was so proud to be a part of it. And I hate explaining what we are doing now, shrugging my shoulders and saying, "Who knows?," hoping something better is coming, praying something's coming at all.
The truth is, I'm scared. I'm scared that this is it. That Thailand was our one great adventure. That we'll get stuck by default by circumstances we can't foresee or control. That I'll never shake this in-between, unsettled feeling. That my purpose will always elude me, just one step out of my reach.
| Sunset in Chiang Mai |
Now is the time to reflect. Reflect on what I did well, what I did poorly, and what I'd like to do better. And it is the time to pray. Pray for forgiveness, pray for vision, and pray for the courage to take those big, scary steps when they finally do come.
I think we all go through periods like this; you're not alone. But I know it's not fun.
ReplyDeleteScott recommended I listen to this podcast (just hope your "babylon" is not years - :) ) https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/seeking-welfare-city/id78612356?i=126249198&mt=2