I realized today that my brain has been preoccupied with food. Perhaps it's because food is comfort; food is home. In a place where we understand so little, it's a grasp of the familiar; a way to stay sane in a world that is turning us upside down. Food is also a way to connect. Everyone knows how to eat, and if you can share something memorable together, it bonds you somehow. It seems silly, I know, but there's truth in it, too.
I'm more than a little jealous of the
mission team working in Phayao, a few hours east of here. They just opened a brick oven pizza shop in their neighborhood. I'm jealous

partly because they serve up some of the best brick oven pizza I've ever tasted, in Thailand or anywhere else. And partly because of the great opportunity they have to connect with the Phayao community through food.
On Saturday, Justin and I tagged along with our friend Jit on a road trip to Phayao for the grand opening celebration. We were so impressed with the Spirit of God alive and working in the Phayao team, and of course with the amazing pizza, that it almost seems worth driving to Phayao every Saturday just to be a part of it.

No comments:
Post a Comment