We moved into our house today. Which means we are officially on our own. It's a little scary. We have a car, but we're both a bit scared to drive it. Switching to the left side is tough to get used to and the fluid traffic laws can make getting around a bit treacherous if you're not on your toes.
The house is
I did my first load of laundry and hung it out to dry just in time for the afternoon rain. The gentle rain fell from impossibly dark clouds hanging in a sunny sky and created a rainbow so lovely that I didn't mind scrambling to pull my wet towels inside.
Pi Nook also teaches Thai, mostly to the teachers at Grace school and ladies she meets through church. She gave me my first lesson today and seemed pleased with my progress. If we meet on the street, now I can ask your name and how old you are. Two important questions that a Thai person always asks when they meet someone new. Pi Nook told me with distress in her voice that Americans never ask these questions. In Thailand's hierarchical society it's important to know where you rank amongst others so you know how much respect to afford them. A concept almost foreign to most Americans.
The goal tomorrow is to find a market and get some fresh fruits and vegetables. For now, I'm enjoying these lazy afternoons.
No comments:
Post a Comment